Nokia CEO Rajeev Suri in an interview revealed that the company is in plans to re-enter mobile phone business. Although the Finnish giant recently released a statement denying its return to the mobile handset market, Suri said that the company is set to look for “suitable partners” to begin its new chapter.
Suri gave the interview to Germany’s Manager Magazin on Thursday in which he said that Nokia would start developing mobile handsets as early as 2016. He suggested that the company would start designing new mobile handsets just as it developed its Android-based N1 tablet that was launched in last November.
Microsoft acquired Nokia’s handset unit for $7.2 billion in September 2013. Following the completion of the acquisition, the software giant started developing new Windows Phone-based Lumia mobile devices that are yet to compete against Android and iOS running devices.
Apart from revealing the plans of re-entering the mobile phone business, Suri said in the interview that Nokia is about to “re-establish the group” with merging Alcatel-Lucent that it acquired in April for $17.8 billion. He also said that the company is looking for a “good buyer” to sell its HERE maps business.
Suri told the magazine that anyone can participate in the bidding who can make the deal better in the long run.
After selling its HERE unit, Nokia will have Nokia Technologies and Nokia Networks, previously called Nokia Siemens Networks, as two major business units. This makes some sense that the company could finally opt for re-entering the mobile handset market to expand its operations. However, it has not yet been revealed whether it would still choose Microsoft’s Windows Phone as a platform for its mobile handsets or switch to Google’s Android.